RE: [ethmac] Cheap Ethernet PHY???

Thanks for the pointer.  After further research, it appears that Kendin is now called Micrel.  But the part number is real and it looks like the part may cost less than $3 in low quantities.  I appreciate the help.

Jeff

On Thu, 2002-05-09 at 06:23, Tal Weiss wrote:
Try the Kendin KS8721 chip....
-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Hanoch [mailto:jeff@lowrance.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 4:03 PM
To: ethmac@opencores.org
Subject: [ethmac] Cheap Ethernet PHY???

Hi all,

I am quite new to ethernet hardware.  My next ASIC design may need to support ethernet 10baseT, so I was looking at your Ethernet MAC.  The problem I am seeing is that the cheapest PHYs I am seeing have only 1 bit data busses.  Being an ethernet newbie, I have not yet found out if this is a problem.  Will it work with your MAC which has 4 bit data busses?  The only PHYs I have seen that have 4 data bits are very expensive.  We do high volume consumer electronics, so I call anything over $5 expensive.  Intel has a part listed for $3.74/1K in Digi-Key.  But it has the 1 bit data pins.

If a 1 bit data bus will not work, does anyone know of an inexpensive PHY that I may have missed which will work with your core?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff