[ethmac] Ethernet MAC host interface

Hello.  I am just starting to reimplement large chunks of a home project FPGA
I am doing, and I am attempting to replace my hand-done 10/100 MAC with the
one from OpenCores.org as this seemed like the right thing to do, and I hadn't
gotten far yet anyways.

Anyways, I notice that your host interface is a Wishbone bus (which I think is
a grand idea!), but that you have several limitations on its use that will make
life difficult in my project.  I thought that before I go and hack the core
to fit my uses, I'd bring it up in the mailing list to see what reaction there
is...  BTW, I would be more than happy to submit my changes once I'm done.. :)

My project uses an external 8051 derivative chip, and I am attempting to do all
my FPGA stuff around a Wishbone bus with a 32-bit width to allow for better
efficiency.  However, this poses several small problems.

a)  I will never be generating 32-bit accesses unless I implement some funky
bus access consoldation core that will bring the accesses into one...

b)  I don't have a 32-bit address bus anywhere.  Internally, I have a 17-bit
address bus (14 bits + 3 selects), with the MSB being driven from PSEN to
indicate code accesses.  Lovely Harvard architecture...  I was expecting to use
an internal address decoder, and multiplexed data bus internally, and to have
my cores using a partial address decoding technique (see p72 of the Wishbone
Spec, rev B).  The current ethernet MAC core expects to do a full address
decoding.

c)  The core is done in Verilog, and I'm a VHDL guy.  I hope I can get my
Xilinx tools to behave with mixed HDL input. :)

So I'm intending to change the host interface to deal with problem b).  How to
deal with a) above is up for discussion.

Any ideas before I go and hack this core?  :)

Ciao
Gavin