RE: [ethmac] Anybody alive

3-Jul-01

   Hi,

      well each one and his own strong and weak point but the main
question is what do you call as MAC core as some MAC do much more than
simple MAC for example maybe it do some Mibs, Maybe it can work with
repeters, maybe it have some learnign capability, does it support Vlan,
Does it support Flow Control, Does it support Full-Duplex. Do you
support Phy read/write or maybe only link status read , and so on.

I would estimate a clean design for someone who have good idea of what
he want to do and know how to code and use xilinx/altera etc in about 12
month, but this is really a "finger number" and nothing else.

As for the 10GbE you will encounter new difficulty which you will have
to address for example the point that the chip need to run much faster
as well as it is 64b tho' you might want to work in 128b for reducing
the freq and have 64b only on the I/O.

Also since it is "so fast" now you get into situation where you can have
few packets on the wires even once the sender stop the transmition and
this you need also to consider and few other small details.

so all in all you should have some fun with this.

have a nice day

   Illan