Re: [oc] Opencores Front Page

Aloha!

John Dalton wrote:
> I've just been engaged in a brief discussion on Slashdot,
> refuting a claim that OpenCores is an industry front.  The
> poster accused the site of just being a bunch of links to
> advertise proprietory products.

Which thread was this in?

> It's a subtle difference, but it places the emphasis on OpenCores
> rather than company XYZ.  In (English) grammatical terms, it means
> making OpenCores the subject of the sentence rather than the predicate.
>
> If stored on the opencores site (where we have control over the
> document), perhaps case studies should also have the opencores
> logo in the most prominant spot?  As it is, when the user
> opens the two PDF files currently being used as success stories,
> they get hit immediately with the logo of the company concerned.
> Opencores isn't mentioned until well into the text of the article.
> I'm not saying the company's logo should be removed, as they
> deserve credit for using opencores.  Rather I'm just saying
> OpenCores should get at least equal billing.  Success stories
> should be an ad fro OpenCores as well as the company.

If the success story is released as a news item on the OC-site then I think
your suggestion is quite right. The success story should display the OC-logo.
It should basically be treated as any other press release from any
organisation, vendor etc.

> On a slightly different topic, I have also noticed some strident
> criticsim of OpenCores on Slashdot, with little or no factual basis.
> (Hint: Do a search on slashdot for the term 'OpenSores'.)

I did a search for "OpenSores" on articles, comments etc, but only found one
comment. Could you post references?

It's sad if people both misunderstand was OpenCores is and talk it down. My
feeling however is that quite a few people on Slashdot generally don't
understand HW-design and the EDA-world, which might be the reason for
confusion that happens.

My 0.2 Euros.

--
Med vänlig hälsning, Yours