Re: [oc] usart

----- Original Message -----
From: pratheeshks2003@y...
To: basu081@r... , cores@o...
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 08:04:33 -0100
Subject: [oc] usart

Wednesday, July 02, 2003
Dear prathes,
I can clear your doubt. I believe, following information  will answer
your question.

How to provide clock frequency for the 8251 USART

If  you use 8251 USART  for async Serial communication purpose  you
must be provide clock frequency by two ways. First  requires chip clock
frequency for internal timing.it must be at least 30 times the data bit
rate of the receiver or transmitter. This clock frequency must be apply
clk pin of the 8251 chip. Next you must be provide transmit clock
[TxC] & receive clock [RxC] for respectively get serial output and serial
input. In the Synchronous mode the baud rate of the transmitter and
receiver, which are the shift rate of the shift registers, are the same as
the frequencies of the signals applied to TxC and RxC respectively. But
in the asynchronous mode the three remaining possible combinations
for the two LSBs  in the mode register dictate the baud rate factor. The
relationship between the frequencies of the TxC and RxC clock inputs
and the baud rates of the transmitter and the receiver is:

            Clock Frequency = Baud Rate Factor × Baud Rate

                                                                   If  1 0  is in the LSBs of
the mode register and the transmitter and receiver baud rates  are to
be 300 and 1200 respectively, then the frequency applied to TxC
should be 4800Hz and the frequency at RxC  Should be 19.2 kHz .

Format of the Mode Register [Asynchronous mode]

  MSB	LSB

Prathes do you want  more information  about 8251 USART,  please
contact with me.

Thanks.
K.Elil