Re: [[oc] Huffman coding]

> For decoding:
> I receive a bitstream and I need to match the incomming variable huffman-code
> with an address. The more I think about it, the more I am pushed to a CAM.
> Anybody any suggestions how to code a CAM in HDL?? Or do you have a better
> suggestion.

A cam is usually implemented as a bank of XOR gates between the data in
and the registers of a ram.
That XOR tree and something to force the data on hit is pretty messy -
bigger than the data storage.

for many cam applications - its better to prearrange the data in a ram and
look it up directly by address.  I would have thought that would fit here
actually.

or sort the data in the ram and do a binary search on contents. with a
few more bits to store the key.

john