Re: Re: Re: [oc] GNU LGPL license

> I was wondering, how does wording in the GNU LGPL apply to HW. In HW there
is no executables etc. One might want to argue that a netlist is not an
executable. In fact An executable would be more like a FPGA bitstream file
or ASIC GDSII file. I'd really like to hear lawyer's opinion.

> regards,
> Damjan

I don't think it would apply to a net list because I don't believe you could
get anything from a C Run Time Library into a net list. (please don't post
petty examples). If you consider something like "printf(char* format, ...)"
it certainly won't be a net list. On the otherhand something like "max(a,b)"
might be synthesizable but you likely wouldn't use the RTL to generate this
code.

You could use such a library function by a processor built with your net
list. In this manner it is execuitable code and thus applicable to the GNU
LGPL.

Jim Dempsey