Re: [oc] Re: mirror - Domain names

On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 08:18:25AM -0800, Andras Tantos wrote:
[...]
> I guess there is a relatively simple solution for that: on the requester's
> IP address perform an inverse DNS search (nslookup) and choose a host who
> has the same country code that the host uses. (or geographically close to
> that.) I would do it in the index.html using server-side scripts and
> redirect rather than in the DNS server itself. If the nslookup don't give
> us anything usefull we can still fall back to the 'please choose a country
> closest to you!' type solution.

That would not work well for the huge number of people who are in GTLDs
such as .com, .net, and .org. I don't see why we need to automatically
direct people at all, just let them choose their own mirror. Less
subject to breakage.

--
Sean R. Lynch KG6CVV  http://www.chaosring.org/~seanl/
Email confirmation system in use: all unrecognized email addresses will

PGP signature