Re: [oc] fft on hardware??or DSP??

> Hi folks,

Hello

> 1. What is the speed of fastest FFT availabe in the market till now?

Not sure.

> 2. I have seen few xilinx FFT documents for virtex FPGAs saying 1024
> FFT in arround 60us. Other DSP vendors giving much speed FFTs than
> FPGAs.
> So which is suitable for fastest FFT, either DSP or FPGA or dedicated
> chip.
> what are the limitations in both.

The FFT I am designing for opencores should do around 1 point
every 10ns in an FPGA.  This translates to 10us for 1024 points.
Essentially it will be 'real time', allowing a continuous stream of data
to be  processed.

> 3. Can I get faster FFTs in FPGA than DSPs?

My guess is for long transforms, an FPGA will generally
have a higher thoughput, as it can do more in parallel.
A DSP could potentially have a shorter latency due to
more highly optimised multipliers.  For very short transforms
a DSP with multiple ALUs might be faster than an FPGA as it can do
everything in parallel with optimised multipliers.

> 4. What are the advantages of FFT on FPGA than in DSP?

See previous answer.

Best wishes
John