Re: [oc] Re: FPGA of OR1k

Marko,

> I am sorry some things were missunderstood. Damjan will further explain some
> details about or1k, but I think major problem for old version is lackage of time
> and constant design changes.

You can be sure that this will always be the case for any project that
hasn't been abandoned.

> I know Damjan for many years and I can guarranty you that he has no
> bad intentions. He is just workaholic trying to get things done as
> quickly as possible.

I am sure Ling didn't mean to imply bad intentions, but was simply
pointing out that this processor is being developed in the "cathedral"
style.

The question is, would a more open development style help? Compare the
GNU Hurd OS with Linux. With the first, you could only read a few web
pages about it until it was finally released by the developers. Nobody
outside that small group could help. Linus released code long before it
did anything useful, and a lot of people started working on it with the
results we all know.

But the truth is that the "bazaar" style doesn't work always. Damjan
could release every single little patch he makes (using a public CVS
server for his work, for example) and never get one single email with a
correction or improvement. He might in fact get lots of email that
waste his time (with silly questions and such) so that he might get a
lot more done on his own and in "secret".

I think that whatever style is used to develop the or1k, it can be
called an "open core" if the sources are freely available in the end.
But I think Ling's question is valid and should be taken into
consideration for all Open Core projects.

-- Jecel