Re: [Mu] could SCO influence MULINUX and embedded linux world ?

From: Stephen Pedrosa Eilert (spedrosa@mailandnews.com)
Date: Sat Aug 30 2003 - 09:19:35 CEST

    On Sat, 30 Aug 2003, mount me wrote:

    > will SCO's move and the screening of the so-called
    > "line-by-line copying of code" evidence have
    > effect on MULINUX and embedded linux varieties.
    >
    > could anyone tell the utilities or
    > tiny embedded linux distros it will effect ??
    >
    > will we loose all the free tiny geeky linux ?
    >
    > karthik bala guru

    I would say that there is no eason for alarm. SCO does not have any
    rights, and we need to wait until they resolve their differences in court
    with IBM, RedHat and SuSe. I doubt they have the money to fight them all.

    Try to read a few (unbiased) articles on the subject.

    But yes, if SCO were to win, all distribuitions would be affected, as they
    all are based on the linux kernel. There is a minimum version they are
    suing however, below that one they are not interested. Finding the version
    number is left as an exercise to the reader :)

    []'s

    Stephen Pedrosa Eilert

    ---
    /"\
    \ / CAMPANHA DA FITA ASCII - CONTRA MAIL HTML
     X  ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN - AGAINST HTML MAIL
    / \
    'Commit yourself to quality from day one ... it's better to do nothing
    at all than to do something badly.'  -Mark H. McCormack