Re: [Mu] jdbgmgr.exe -- really a virus?

From: Karsten Kruse (tecneeq@gmx.net)
Date: Thu May 01 2003 - 00:52:26 CEST

    On Wed, 30 Apr 2003, Michele Andreoli wrote:

    Hi Michele,

    > I received a mail that suggest to remove immediately this
    > .exe from the system, because it is a virus and it will erase
    > the disk in the near future.

    I send from time to time an email to my lusers wich contains something
    like this:

     Dear User,

     (some news, changes in the system etc)
     .. and also i want to tell you that everytime a mail from the bad
     guys can slip through our filter. In this case delete the mail or
     forward the mail to me. You can recognize that kind of mail if you look
     at the "From:"-field. If it is not from me it is from a bad guy.

     Period.

     Even if the mail is from your best friend, don't trust it. And if you are
     not sure don't trust it.
     (more news)

    I also insert two new jokes into the mail, just to make sure that the user
    read my messages. But that is not the point, the point is: Don't trust
    email. In no case. Except it is signed by your administrator. If you are
    your own administrator: run antivirus everytime on any host, don't use
    Windows if you can avoid it, don't execute attachements. That should make
    it pretty hard for the bad guys.

    As a matter of fact: There is noone out there sending you trustworthy
    information about Viruses for free or because he is a philanthropist.

    > You opinion, please?
    > What's the virus? the .exe or the mail?

    Obviously the mail. Because it is not from me ;).

    Karsten Kruse

    --
    Home Screenshots  Mac68k  A/UX-Links  Shorties  » www.tecneeq.de
    Linuxrouter ISDN Clienteinrichtung Masquerading » www.newbierouter.de