OT: Serious problem

From: Gabriele Alberti (gabriele.alberti@email.it)
Date: Thu Mar 06 2003 - 19:36:11 CET

    Hello,
    I had a disk failure, and for a series of circumstances I have the tape backup partially
    overwritten by another backup (interrupted before it overwrote everything).
    Maybe some graphics of the tape helps:
    Stage 1, good backup:

    Stage 2, interrupted backup2 partially overwrote backup1:

    |======backup2(interrupted)====|==end_part_of_backup1========|

    How to get the remaining part of backup1? Both are simple tar -cvf /dev/tape <dirs>.

    Thanks in advance, regards

    Gabriel