Re: Lepton 0r3

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Wed Dec 04 2002 - 20:36:30 CET

On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 06:08:40PM -0000, Dave Houghton nicely wrote:

> Yes framebuffer works in both 800x600 and 1024x768 mode. I originally thought the problems with
> more/less were down to buggy busybox code but the same busybox code runs ok on a non-frambuffer
> system, so as above I suspect the kernel bugs in framebuffer source.
> j2 and fbppm both work o.k and the screensaver bounces around the screen quite happily erasing my
> console text :-)

Wonderfull! This is my first framebuffer game :-)

> >> I'm sure I can find lots more but as it's a work in progress I'll stop being critical now :-)
> >>

> >As previous stated, the scope of this floppy is to run C binaries that
> >uses framebuffer graphics.
>
> If I can sort out this general keyboard/framebuffer/2.4.xx problem, I might have something to interest you.

My first intent was to write down a little double-face graphics library: framebuffer and ncurses.

The idea was to not use at all the standard ncurses (because big) and to emulate it using
one of these:

        1) framebuffer device (ok, but to manage text requires font management. Too complex)
        2) /dev/vcsa programming (good for text, but bad for graphics primitives).

So, I planned a mixture of both: framebuffer for graphics; /dev/vcsa access for
strings and standard C for input/output (keyboard input, etc).

Surely, you understand what I'm meaning: a little, ultra-rustic API with
functions like:

                rg_init()
                rg_line()
                rg_pixel()
                rg_print() /* print string using /dev/vcsa */
                rg_close()

Why do reinvent the wheel ( your preferred sentence) ?
Why to not use FLTK, or QT, or AALIB for that?

Because:
        1) to use a very-bad library, written by oneself, is better (as far
           training is concerned) that use a very-good library, written by another.
        2) I can have a sort of game-library in 50k (I hope)

PS

If you are interested in a little demo (snow.c) that
fill the console screen with random asteriscs, I have it.
It uses no external library: it simply open the /dev/vcsa1 (corresponding
to first console) and changes some bytes.

"Physics is like sex: it may give some practical
results, but that's not why we do it"  (Richard Feynman)