Re: Windows XP question (newbie)

From: Jeff Howie (GROG@SixBit.Org)
Date: Thu Oct 24 2002 - 15:40:33 CEST

On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 03:30:53PM +0200, Jeroen Nieuwenbroek wrote:
>> Done. Now, I to run a .exe program at startup?
>
> before windows ? is started ? with xp is that impossible.. this version
> doestnt use a autoexec.bat. by default.
>
> you have to open the registry with "regedit" (start it with start/run )
> browse to
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\
>
> you can add here your own startup programs..
> i think you already have some examples..
>
> for xp newbies i suggest to take a look at the command: msconfig

I personally haven't used XP, but would you not be able to put the
autoexec.bat file in the 'Run' key you point to above, and then just
put whatever commands you want to run in that file? Would make any
changes you want to make later a lot easier.

--
GROG! \|||/        Pity the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.
thks -(o o)-       -- Don Marquis