Re: Til alex@tango.dk / the horse has pretty teeth, dear

From: Alfie Costa (agcosta@gis.net)
Date: Sat Oct 05 2002 - 18:19:32 CEST

On 5 Oct 2002, at 16:58, Michele Andreoli <mulinux@sunsite.dk> wrote:

> This is what my grandfather alway told me: "a caval donato
> non si guarda in bocca" (I do not know an english equivalent of this motto).

"Never look a gift horse in the mouth"

...according to this site:
http://www.italiansrus.com/proverbs/proverb11.htm

On the other hand, if we all followed such a "no complaining unless you PAY"
rule, free software would be noticeably worse than it is. If I write a buggy
script, (no hypothetical example, hmm), I would be able to improve it faster if
two things happen:

        1) Users aren't too bashful to complain about the bugs.
        2) I don't ignore these bold users who complain.

Rich software companies pay people to complain, and dignify such employees with
fancy titles like "testers", "quality assurance", and so forth. So it's like
the free software complainers are giving the free software programmers a free
service too.