Re: backup again

From: Vesa-Pekka Palmu (vessu@dlc.fi)
Date: Sun Mar 24 2002 - 13:41:18 CET

> I have found a command that seems to be working!
>
> Apparently, the "dd" command doesn't block, but "cat" does, so by
> replacing dd with cat in the last try, plus adding a delay to enter the
> password, seems to be working. Here is the command now:
>
> >(sleep 10; cat /dev/hda1) | ssh user@host "cat - > hda1.raw"

And In my opinion, backing up the RAW data of the HD is much
better than backing up the files, as the restoration process will be
much easier, no need to setup lilo or partitions, just back up
/dev/hda and if the need arises copy the backup file back to
/dev/hda and you are where you left off :)

In most laptops you can even backup the hibernation drive and in
so doing restart the computer from a given place :)

"We are the Windows. Your life as you knew it is over. Your biological and
technological identities will be removed from our own. stability is irrelevant.
Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated."

Vesa-Pekka Palmu AKA Depili
E-mail: depili@sci.fi
ICQ#: 12379430