Re: the first week with mulinux

From: Stephen Isard (S.IsardDeleteThis@ed.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Mar 20 2002 - 16:09:28 CET

Dirk Heilemann wrote:

> > You will also have to edit /bin/login to not use ile.
> >
> Hmm. I only changed the passwd. The sense of the /bin/login script is beyond
> my understanding. I hope I don't miss something important.

It may not matter. According to the ile man page:

       One particular praise of ile is the way it completely dis­
       ables all its editing as soon as the subprogram attempts
       to do so itself, or for any reason switches into raw mode.
       This makes ile usable with just about any program.

So it is trying to keep out of bash's way, and possibly it will succeed.
Safer not to have it running at all when you are using bash though.

Stephen Isard