Re: Trying to install on 386

From: no one (neverbefound@subdimension.com)
Date: Tue Mar 19 2002 - 23:08:36 CET

On Tue, 19 Mar 2002 14:06:38 -0800
"Craig Turner" <craig@war-dog.com> pleasently wrote:
> I'm trying to install muLinux on a 386 with 8mb ram & 240 mb hdd.
> (Why...why not?)
Hell yeah! :)
> Firstly it boots Ok, and I create a swap partition (prepared with fdisk
> from Toms R&B) The swap is a linux swap partition (option 1) of 32 meg.
>
> I then load the USR disk, which takes a while, but loads Ok. Then I put
> in the SRV disk, and try to load that. A lot of hd disk activity takes
> place (swapping, I think), and very slowly the percentage complete
> increases, however after 12 hours, it still only got to 22% at which
> point I gave up.
As the system is not yet cloned to the harddrive, every time you try & load a addon it allocates _another_ chunk of ram/swap as a ramdrive - till it runs out completely of real ram to run programs in...
> I then tried putting the hard disk into my P200 with 256mb ram. I
> managed to load muLinux fine, and cloned muLinux to the hard disk. I
> then moved the hd back to the 386, but booting only gets as far as LI
The LILO on the harddisk is trying to boot the harddisk from where it was in the P200...

i.e. if you put the harddisk as secondary slave, LILO is trying to boot
/dev/hdd1 rather than
/dev/hda1 (as I suspect your setup would be)
> So I repeated the procedure but instead created a floppy boot disk.
>
> Booting from the floppy disk gives me LI 040404040404 error (the 04
> keeps repeating) I did a search through LILO documentation and from
> what I understand, this is something to do with the hd geometry.
Same thing again - the LILO on the floppy is trying to boot Linux from where the harddisk was in the desktop...
> Anyone got any pointers as to where I should go from here?
1.) Start again, load mulinux floppy, setup swap, then grab (SRV?) for LILO & clone immediately to harddisk, should setup LILO ok (make a floppy copy of LILO as well).
Once rebooted on the harddisk-mu; load as many addons as you want :)

2.) Shove mulinux floppy in 386 & boot, when you hit LILO boot prompt, enter something like
root=/dev/hda1
where /dev/hda1 is the disk & partition where your mu is installed (look for the ext2 partition in fdisk if you don't remember). It will load kernel off floppy (S.L.O.W.L.Y) then boot installed mu...

Once booted in harddisk mu, rerun lilo...

Hope this helps, some bits might be fairly wrong, been a while since I messed around with my partitions :)

Jarvist

--
Courdoroy pillows- They're making headlines!