Re: Euro currency symbol; was Re: R: Happy New Year !

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Mon Jan 07 2002 - 22:54:21 CET

On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 08:01:00PM +0000, Clive Wright nicely wrote:

> The character is 0x00a4 in the iso-8859-15 charset.
> For keyboards without a Euro key I think it is usually
> mapped to "Alt Gr e".
> I do not know about modifying the keytable though.

Great! Fortunately, the same code hold also for iso-8859-1
Usimg vi (VIM) it is entered with "control-v 164".

So, in muLinux, putting this row in the file /etc/keys.conf:

        altgr keycode 18 = 0x00a4

(18 is the scancode for "e" on the keyboad ) and doing:

        # setup keymap store
        # setup keymap
        # setup -s

give us the euro symbol with "altgr e".

Anyway, to be honest, the symbol shown here is a little ugly; it
look like a sort of Indian fig, a fruit not currently loved in Italy
(Italians know why :-) -- See note).

Michele

Note:
Sen. Giovanni Agnelli (FIAT), asked about the question "Is Italy a
Banana Republic?" answered "No; Italy is an Indian Fig Republic".
(The foreign affairs Minister was just dismiss by Mr. Berlusconi)
Politic Enstablisment still is asking oneself what avv. Agnelli was meaning
with its exotic statement (and I also).
Fico d'India = Indian Fig, prikly pear (bot.)

--
I keep trying to locate a meeting of Quantum Physicists. But everytime
they set a meeting time, the location changes. And vice versa -- Anonymous