Re: [mu TECH]

From: Daniel Webb (webb@robust.colorado.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 14 2001 - 20:10:37 CET

> > I am using Debian testing, and have problems with the lastest mulinux
> > (v.12r2). Mulinux seems to depend on floppy disk devices being named:
> > "fd0H1440" and "fd0H1720",
> > but Debian has the devices:
> > "fd0h1440" and "fd0h1722"
> >
> > Does anyone know what the deal is?
> >

> mknod /dev/fd0H1722 b $MAJOR $MINOR
> where MAJOR=2, MINOR=60.
>
> As alternative, you can edit the mu.cnf and FLOPPY=fd0H to FLOPPY=fd0h,
> but this is untested and unracomended, because surely some /dev/* is
> missing in muLinux.

  I don't know why the different distributions have different names for
the floppy devices. I did a Google search and all I could find is a
reference to this fact at the beginning of the Hard Disk Upgrade
mini-HOWTO:
  http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Hard-Disk-Upgrade/bootdisk.html

  It seems that Debian, SuSe and Slackware use a different format than
RedHat. Which one is "right"? Is there a standard? I am hoping to be
able to help so that mulinux is not broken on these three distributions.
Most users will give up when they see errors. I love mulinux, and used it
often with RedHat. What makes mulinux so great is that it is so easy
to use (you don't need to know how to create system devices to use it,
normally!) Now that I have switched
to Debian I would like to get mulinux working out of the box for Debian.