[off-topics] Video Editing under Linux

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Wed Dec 05 2001 - 14:07:59 CET

Maybe, someone should be interested.
I'm a little exploring video editing and digital acquisition from cameras
under Linux.
I get DV movies from a Panasonic digital video camera, using the
IEEE-1394 (FireWire) port. So, I use ieee1394 driver under 2.4.9 kernel.

I'm so happy, because at the end all works also with the penguin.

My problem is: the video format. I'm producing AVI (very big) and compressed
format MPEG, but I've trouble in Windows98 with MPEG.

The kind of MPEG I produced only works under WIndow2000, using Window Media
Player, doesn't under Win98 (First Edition).
What's the tool that Windows users regularly uses to play MPEG (video, not
sound)?

I wish to send a CD-ROM with a lot of movies to a friend of mine that
live in Germany (near Trier, Foeren) but I'm not sure if he can read them,
under Windows or under Linux. Anyway, under Linux the command "plaympeg"
works great with my mpegs.

If some one wish to exchange with me about the subject, I accept also
private emails.

I keep trying to locate a meeting of Quantum Physicists. But everytime
they set a meeting time, the location changes. And vice versa -- Anonymous