Re: Linux equivilent to .bat files

From: Guillaume Cornet (CornetGJ@Cardiff.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Nov 14 2001 - 00:39:12 CET

On 13 Nov 2001, at 15:24, Cenobyte wrote:

> How to work with the linux equivilent of .bat files?

Well, it is a little bit more than .bat files ;-)
I am not very good at that myself. But I found a nice tutorial on the
linuxdoc.org site.

You just have to write commands in a file, with no particular
extension (sometimes .sh is choosen).

You could try an Hello world! program for a change...

Write that line,
#echo "Hello world!"
without the initial "#" into a text file, using vi or the mc editor,
or the command cat below. Then make it executable and run it.
The whole set of commands is

# cat "echo "Hello world!"" > test.sh
# chmod u+x test.sh
# ./test.sh

Now you can run test.sh every time you want. But you will want to
replace it with more useful scripts, so see
<http://www.linuxdoc.org/LDP/abs/html/>.
If you write some scripts that you want to use, copy them into /bin,
or another directory in your $PATH.

And bash is not the only shell, there are also csh, tcsh, ksh... but
I just know them by name till now...

Guillaume Cornet
Talybont North
house F, flat 3