Re: A few qestions

From: Stephen Isard (S.IsardDeleteThis@ed.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Oct 31 2001 - 12:58:49 CET

Neo Sze Wee wrote:

> When I run ile in small linux, it says Cannot assign tty/pty pair.
> What is the problems?

I know of two possible causes for this error message. There are
probably more.

1. You are logged in as a user other than root, and don't have read
and/or write permissions for the pseudo-tty that ile is trying to
allocate. Solution: log in as root and set permissions on all unused
/dev/ttyp* and /dev/ptty* to 0666. "Unused" means if you do 'ps ax',
they don't get mentioned.

2. All of the pseudo-ttys are in use. I think mulinux only has 8 as
standard. Solution: make some more /dev/ttyp?? and /dev/ptty?? with
mknod. See man mknod on some linux that has the man page.

Stephen Isard