Tulips, Quake, curl, mu-fringe website

From: no one (allyourfriendsaremakebelieve@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Oct 29 2001 - 22:54:01 CET

Hello,

Just thought I'd write with a number of quirks and experiences of the
wonderful mu,

For anybody that is interested, the libc5 version of SVGA quake seems to
work splendiferously with mu, and doesn't seem to mind being run from a
read-only filesystem, except for the abscence of being able to save a game -
great fun with the El-Toreto (sic) option :-) The shareware version is
available free for download from idsoftware.

Also on this vein of fun-with-mu; emulators for most old-school
micro-computers are available, if anybody's interested, drop me a line
(SPECTRUM 48K FOR EVER!)

After finally getting around to downloading an old libc5 zipslack, I've
compiled a number of programs that I've found useful - curl, non-rustic
nmap, ez-ipupdate (used to update dynamic dns servers), indent (for .c
source) to name a few...
If anybody is interested in these binaries, I'll gladly put them on the
internet; likewise, if anybody has a particular program they'd like
compiled, shout me the URL & I'll try my best :-)

On programs of a slightly more dubious nature, cmospwd (bios password
recovery) works fine on mu - and is a great benefit in its use as saviour of
the oudated hand-me-down computer. I also have a collection of
black/grey-hat network tools, some are just plain destructive, some are
rather useful (such as scaning the network for samba services). Again, if
anybody's interested...

Quirks: Not sure if these are still applicable - I couldn't find a clean
version of mu on my hardisk to check a
gainst...

libm.so.5 is required for mpg123, but the lib isn't on the WKS disk...

'setup sound' doesn't quit gracefully when it can't find sound.o - still
expecting it to be on the base floppy?

I can't seem to find the tulip.o ethernet driver anywhere on the actual
mu-linux disks, it isn't mentioned in s
etup ethernet; however it works with any Dec 21*4* card, which happens to be
what RM has supplied with every sc
hool computer in the UK, so is there any possibility of including this with
the stock mulinux-release (its in m
odules-36.tgz).

It would seem to be very useful to collect all these 'fringe' programs for
mu at one central site along with a
little documentation, if anybody is interested, I'll find some free webspace
& start uploading...

Yours respectfully,
Jarvist

moorons@themail.co.uk