Re: 4 MB: no cloning starts

From: Jan Petranek (jan.petranek@student.uni-tuebingen.de)
Date: Tue Oct 23 2001 - 13:29:01 CEST

On Mon, 22 Oct 2001, Alfie Costa wrote:

> Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 18:15:14 -0400
> From: Alfie Costa <agcosta@gis.net>
> To: mulinux@sunsite.dk
> Subject: Re: 4 MB: no cloning starts
>
> On 19 Oct 2001, at 14:13, Michele Andreoli <mulinux@sunsite.dk> wrote:
>
> > ..The best chance is to enter in the
> > MaintenanceMode, when you can, then:
> >
> > # fdisk /dev/... { create a swap partition }
> > # mkswap /dev/<swap-partition>
> > # sync
> > # swapon
> > Now, you can do:
> > # /etc/rc/dosinstall
>
> Can something like this be put into the boot script?** It would check how much
> memory there was. If there wasn't much memory, it could offer to run something
> like the above code. (Maybe for safety, the 'fdisk' part should be changed to
> creating a dos swap.)
>
> (**Not a rhetorical question. I don't really know what mu can do before it
> gets to the logon prompt.)

The question is here, how far the bootprocess goes, before it runs out of
memory. If it runs out or memory first (like cannot fork), then no script
can be called.
I will try to investigate this matter (add some echos into the
boot-scripts or so...), so I can see, what happens and where it stops.

Bye,

JanP