mu TECH : a little of everything...

From: Guillaume Cornet (CornetGJ@Cardiff.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Oct 15 2001 - 18:59:43 CEST

Thank you all for your advice.

I won't install vmware : too "invasive". Dank u Jeroen.

Danke Sebastian, for reminding me the academic regulations, but I
don't want to install any software on these computers, I just want to
drop some gzipped loop devices (I can call them "Cognitive
psychology.pdf" or "Face recognition.pdf" if I want, no ? And Windows
will draw the little icon Adobe Acrobat next to them !) in my home
directory ;-] and burn some other on a CD (there are CD writers in a
certain room). And loadlin, the bootloader, and a kernel. I can
actually use loadlin, because I can boot a true dos from the network.
I can't afford buying a laptop computer and paying the connection
fees.

So I need the network, an IPX and NCP-based one.

I found a RPM browser for windows.
I unpacked ncpfs-2.2...rpm. And I used the muLinux ftp server to put
them on a 4096k ramdisk, just created for that purpose (dd
if=/dev/zero... ; mke2fs... ; mkdir... ; mount...), using a ftp
client for NT on another machine. But those binaries need
ldlinux.so.2. So I will try to find a sooner version of ncpfs (the
binaries), which will run with ldlinux.so.1. I don't know if that RPM
exists, and I don't know wether such a version will be OK for a
Netware server 4.0. So I keep looking for those binaries.

About the ipx.o, there are no dependencies, I had already checked
modules.dep... I bookmark all pages concerning the linux kernel. I
compiled my first module hello.o using muLinux, last week. (It
doesn't really help me, of course, since it just says hello when you
load it and goodbye when you rmmod it!, but when I come back to
Belgium, I am decided to do something else with linux than using SuSE
7.2 ! So I begin learning now.)
But I don't know how I could compile a single module in a 4Mb
ramdisk. I suppose it is possible. If it is, I will try to compile
the ipx module from a 2.0.39. If I have well understood, I just have
to give gcc the suitable header files...? Should it be possible to
insmod -f it into a running 2.0.36? (I hope my question is not too
stupid.)

Any suggestion will be welcomed.

Best wishes,

Guillaume