Re: UMSDOS installation from and to an extended partition

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Fri Oct 12 2001 - 14:09:29 CEST

On Fri, Oct 12, 2001 at 12:16:05AM +0000, Guillaume Cornet nicely wrote:

> But the network is a Novell-based one, and the muLinux kernel doesn't
> support IPX protocol. I have read in the doc/kernel.txt that IPX was
> compiled as a module for that kernel. But I can't find it in the
> distribution. And I'm quite sure that I have looked everywhere!

Maybe, in the archive modules.tgz

> So, I have put all the downloaded mulinux addons in C:\temp (the
> /dev/hda5 DOSFS hard disk), then rebooted a true DOS, and
> uncompressed the dostools, then launched boot.bat. But I can't
> install muLinux in UMSDOS. It just does not work at all. What's the
> problem? Should I be able to install muLinux in another partition
> than /dev/hda1?

You cannot? Why?

> If I can install it, I'll be a happy man! I will then be able to
> compile a kernel, with ipx and ncpfs as modules, to put them into the
> last muLinux, and to run it on any PC on this LAN. Then mount my home
> directory (mine, really, using my password !) with freshly compiled
> ncpfs.o module and the packages ipx and ncpfs (ncpmount, ncpumount,
> ...) and so forth.

All that with the old 2.0.36 kernel?

> My final goal is to build a floppy with an initrd
> which 1/mounts my home directory 2/mounts another filesystem
> contained in a loop device in that home directory into a ramdisk and
> 3/chroot to it.

> If I can really use muLinux for compiling a kernel and then the
> packages ipx, ncpfs, ...

No, sorry. You cannot compile the kernel with mulinux GCC ...

> IN SHORT, my first question :
>
> How do I perform an UMSDOS installation on an extended partition
> (hda5), on a PC I cannot boot a floppy on it, but with a Windows NT
> on it, and a fast internet acces, and a true DOS available? Which
> scripts should I look at and modify, or which arguments should I pass
> to the kernel? Or... whatever I have to do.

I suspect that NT has not DOS mode compatible with loadlin.exe, so
your project cannot have success.

I keep trying to locate a meeting of Quantum Physicists. But everytime
they set a meeting time, the location changes. And vice versa -- Anonymous