Re: 22% and crash

From: Andrew Criswell (andy@arcriswell.com)
Date: Thu Sep 27 2001 - 17:30:56 CEST

Dear All:

Success! Thanks for all your help. I now have muLinux up and running on my DEC 486SL (8MB ram, 40MB HDD), and all with Bill Gate's assistance (no MS DOS).

Here's how I did it with your collective help:
  1. Boot ROOT+BOOT+USR floppy (muLinux 12r2) and run in maintenance mode.

  2. Partition HDD using fdisk.
    /dev/hda1 16MB Linux swap
    /dev/hda2 Linux native (made bootable)
  3. Run:
    mkswap -c /dev/hda1
    mke2fs -c /dev/hda2
  4. Reboot using ROOT+BOOT+USR floppy.
    Say "yes" to USR addon, but to all other addons (for now) say "no". (to conserve memory).
  5. Remove ROOT+BOOT+USR floppy and replace it with FDD containing the LILO file from muLinux distribution.
    mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt
    cp /mnt/lilo /tmp
    ln -s /tmp/lilo /usr/bin

    ( /tmp was the only place with sufficient memory to accomodate the 204KB lilo file. I checked memory limitations using df command.)
  6. Run command, umount /mnt, and replace ROOT+BOOT+USR floppy. Run clone, specifying EXT2, Linux swap and LILO.

  7. Reboot without FDD. It works!
All the best,
ANDREW

Andrew Criswell