Re: 22% and crash

From: Joshua Hudson (joshudson@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Sep 26 2001 - 23:37:24 CEST

>From: "Andrew Criswell" <andy@arcriswell.com>
>Hello All:
>
>I have a DEC 486SX with 8MB ram and 40 MB hard drive. Mulinux seems to be
>the obvious solution.
>
>My computer is now formatted as EXT2 with linux swap drive.
>
>I can successfully load the BOOT+USR flopy disk. But when I proceed to the
>next disk, loading stops around 22%. How come? Run out of memory, I
>suspect.
>
>Ultimately, I would like to "clone" the floppies onto my hard drive. I have
>tried to do so with only BOOT+USR but the installation aborts because it
>cannot find LILO. Of course, LILO is on the WKS floppy which cannnot be
>loaded because of the 22% constraint.
>
>Why 22? Perhaps it suggest a "Catch 22".
>
>Thanks for your help.
>
>ANDREW
>
>Andrew Criswell
>Professor
>Graduate School, Bangkok University
Lowmem install proceedures:

1)Boot with the first floppy and load USR addon
(because it worked).
2) Now clone to HD and press ENTER when promped
for loader method. This will clone without
installing lilo.
3) Next, reboot with the floppy still in the
drive. At boot: type "mulinuz root=/dev/hda1"
(or whichever is your root partition).
4) Press enter for Maintance Mode.
5) Start loading addons like so:
bzip2 < /dev/fd0H1722 > addon.tar