Bad news

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Thu Sep 20 2001 - 11:58:53 CEST

Hello,

I'm having considerables troubles making muLinux's archives under my
Debian, kernel 2.4.9.
I tried to remake ROOT.gz and USR.bz2 for the v12.1 (already published),
but I anytimes obtain random and strange results:

1) ROOT.gz and USR.bz2 changes in sizes randomly (10k oscillations)
2) ROOT.gz and USR.bz2 grows in size (about 60k!)

I carefully checked and compared every files. They never changes.

After that, I remade the image using mulinux itself, with no problem at all.
So, this is surely an EXT2 filesystem question.

The script "mu" is designed in order to use a mkfs.ext2 from
tree/usr/bin/mkfs.ext2, i.e. it use a command from muLinux, not from the
host machine. This command use only libc5, not libext2*:

        l# dd mkfs.ext2
        libc.so.5 => /lib/libc.so.5 (0x40010000)

So, what's the scenario? does the command use ext2 (built-in) code that
conflicts with new ext2 code in the 2.4.* series?
Previously, my Debian was 2.2.*: no problem in this case.

I do not know any solution to this problem. Maybe, we have to change
the filesystem used by muLinux in its ramdisks, using "minix" instead.
Maybe, since "minix" fs is not under development anymore, it is
to be considered stable (read: dead), so we haven't to deal with ext2.
Obiously, for the ext2's developers, 10-20k aren't important.

Ext2 should remains for cloning purpose, etc.

The (big) disvantage: I cannot assume that host-machine provide
mkfs.minix and minix filesystem support in the host-kernel.

I keep trying to locate a meeting of Quantum Physicists. But everytime
they set a meeting time, the location changes. And vice versa -- Anonymous