Re: Speed-up muLinux startup

From: Philippe Corbes (philippe.corbes@laposte.net)
Date: Tue Sep 11 2001 - 10:38:49 CEST

Hello Michele,

Pleace excuse for this delayed reply but i am very buzy by my job.

>On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 02:54:01PM +0200, Philippe Corbes nicely wrote:
>> Hello Michele,
>>
>> I was looking mulinux start-up and I was waiting, waiting....
>> I decided to speed-up start-up, especially when only some modules are
>> loaded.
>>

>Hello, Philippe. I'm exploring what you sent me. I'm currently not able
>to understand enterely what you done, because some long "if-then-else"
>structure hide a little the code.
Excuse me for this but i started with pascal and my mind is formated to
;;-)).

>What is really the problem at startup? What mean "compiled profile?"
There no problem but setup script is a big file and running recurcively
at startup.
Startup is long because we check each module and addon to know if we
need to start it
Hello Michele,

Excuse me for the delay of this mail.

>On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 02:54:01PM +0200, Philippe Corbes nicely wrote:
>> Hello Michele,
>>
>> I was looking mulinux start-up and I was waiting, waiting....
>> I decided to speed-up start-up, especially when only some modules are
>> loaded.
>>

>Hello, Philippe. I'm exploring what you sent me. I'm currently not able
>to understand enterely what you done, because some long "if-then-else"
>structure hide a little the code.
Excuse me for this but i started with pascal and my mind is formated to
;;-)).

>What is really the problem at startup? What mean "compiled profile?"
There no problem but setup script is a big file and running recurcively
at startup.
Startup is long because we check each module and addon to know if we
need to start it

>Why you replicated a lot of function from "setup" to "setup-lib"?, without
>removing them form the "setup" script itself?
No, I extracted some functions to create a library. This library is
included in the
"/setup/cnf/start_custom" script.

>What's the theory? You wish a list of resource that the user really want?
I discribe bootstrap and what i modified.
The system bootstrap script "/etc/rc/boot"
 - Create the PATH var,
 - Define and mount the root device
 - Ask if you want to run maint mode
 - Run "/etc/rc/startup" to load startup modules
 - Run "/etc/rc/addons". This script execute "setup -a addons".
   Setup script will open "/setup/model/addons" file and call setup
script for each
   entry in this file. This method take a long time when only some
addons needs to be
   configured. My idea to solve this problem is to run a script
automaticaly generated
   once time for all. This script is updated by setup script when setup
is modified.
   This script configure only addons who needs to be configured.
 - Run "/etc/rc/lo" to initalise loopback networking.
 - Run "/etc/rc/misc
 - Run "init" at level 5. The script "/etc/rc/5" execute "/etc/rc/setup"

The script "/etc/rc/setup" execute "setup -a custom".
   Setup script will open "/setup/model/custom" file and call setup
script for each
   entry in this file. This method take a long time when only some
module need to be
   configured. My idea to solve this problem is to run a script
automaticaly generated
   once time for all. This script is updated by setup script when setup
is modified.
   This script configure only modules who needs to be configured.

I hope help you with this email. Have a nice day.
Philippe Corbes.