Re: muLinux on a CD?

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Thu Sep 06 2001 - 21:21:42 CEST

On Thu, Sep 06, 2001 at 08:35:46PM -0400, Grzegorz Borek nicely wrote:
> Hi!
> Is it possible to put muLinux with all its addons on a cd, so it boot into
> ramdisk? How would you do that?
> Or maybe someone knows some other low-requirement distro that can do that?
> Thanks in advance

MuLinux is perfectly able to do that, since long time. To create a CD image
in muLinux is tremendously easy: it is only matter to write "clone" and to
read the following screens carefully.

The script create a running muLinux on the cdrom, in the state as-is,
with every add-on you've currenty in memory and every customization and binary
you implemented and installed.

The script is designed in order to burn the CD, as last stage; but if your
cdwriter is not recognized by muLinux (because not SCSI, etc) or whenever
other bad cases, you can fetch the just-made ISO image (master.iso) and
to copy it on your Windows machine.

Because the script does assume you are in RAM, it will requires a mounted
partition, to use as work-area. The partition is NOT erased: but a ws/
directory will be created on it. You can also use your Windows disk for
this scope. At the end of the process, in the ws/ directory, you will find
the master.iso file.

Technically, the system in the CD do not use add-ons, but two filestems:
the first in RAM, containing the BASE disk; the second, containing the entire
/usr and every addon, is from the CD-ROM, read-only. This means: you cannot
remove the CD, without umounting /usr. The second filesystem is a single,
big file (usr.img), a loop filesystem.

Sorry, but my english is being worse, lately :-)

I keep trying to locate a meeting of Quantum Physicists. But everytime
they set a meeting time, the location changes. And vice versa -- Anonymous