X and root (was: Re: Appwatch is dead)

From: Sebastian Leske (sleske@enterprise.mathematik.uni-essen.de)
Date: Tue Sep 04 2001 - 00:18:24 CEST

Hi,

> That'd be great. I was looking for informatuon on how users who were
> not root could get access to X. I knew there was a thread on on that
> earlier...

A, ah VFAQ (very frequently asked question ;-) ).
short version:

A) as a user that can use X, do
xhost localhost
This disables X access control for all local users.
THIS IS INSECURE, if you don't trust all local users (and might even be
exploitable over the net, though that is difficult).

 - or -

B) as root, do:
export XAUTHORITY=<HD>/.Xauthority
where <HD> is the home directory of the user who started X (and can
therefore use it).
This give root access to the authentication information which X uses,
and is therefore more secure than A), but also a bit more to type.

Long version:
Remote X Apps mini-HOWTO
to be had at your friendly LDP mirror, possibly included with your
distribution, or at www.linuxdoc.org

Greetings,

Sebastian Leske