[Fwd: Speed-up muLinux startup]

From: Philippe Corbes (philippe.corbes@laposte.net)
Date: Mon Aug 27 2001 - 14:28:49 CEST

attached mail follows:

On Mon, Aug 27, 2001 at 12:09:30AM +0200, Sebastian Leske nicely wrote:

> Wouldn't it be possible to always use "euristic swap" on bootup with a
> saved profile? That seems perfect. If you set up swap before, it will
> find it, if not, it will do without.

Yes. The swap.fun script is very old, but it is able to use /etc/rc/auto_swap,
that is recent. It try to swap in a convenient variety of way:

try_with_linux_swap || try_with_startup || try_with_root ||\
try_with_media || try_with_primary || return 1

Example: an UMSDOS installation try to swap in a file in the same disk.
Anyway, "try_with_linux_swap" is in the highest priority.

> So, just to make mulinux a bit more tolerant of user error, can you
> change the bootup scripts such that they do not invoke mkswap, unless
> you are in interactive setup? I made a little patch that does that.

I think this is a *must*.

> Maybe I can still convince you ... ;-).

Thank you Sebastian: I'm convinced. I will insert your changes quickly.

I keep trying to locate a meeting of Quantum Physicists. But everytime
they set a meeting time, the location changes. And vice versa -- Anonymous