Re: VIRUS ALERT-- Re: Informacja SECUR - AXET Last minute

From: Alfie Costa (agcosta@gis.net)
Date: Tue Jul 31 2001 - 16:10:53 CEST

On 30 Jul 2001, at 19:19, Bob Goodwin <mulinux@sunsite.dk> wrote:

> What does this mean? Sircom is a Windows virus and I don't think
> my Linux system can pass it on to a Windows user?

A Linux system should be safe. Unless it's running Wine to emulate Windows,
and MS Word under that, which was used to open the trojan. If you haven't done
that you're probably OK.

Even a windows system is safe, if it uses a virus checker that detects Sircom.

> Are they referring to a "mulinux .sunsite" problem or perhaps a
> "sunsite" virus?

Sunsite is also probably fine and running as it was meant to.

What seems to be happening is:

1) Somewhere in the world there are Windows computers infected with Sircom.
These infected computers have acquired the name of the mulinux mailing list,
and are subscribing to it, then posting the Sircom virus.

2) The mailing list server, or perhaps some 'bot that subscribes to the list,
is apparently running a virus checker that detects Sircom. So it posts a virus
warning.