Re: is it possible to get a block cursor?

From: Albrecht Kleine (kleine@ak.sax.de)
Date: Mon Jul 30 2001 - 18:40:14 CEST

Hi,

> From: Maciej Kalisiak <mac@cs.toronto.edu>
>
> >Is it possible to get a block cursor in the console?
> >I've read on newsgroups of past that the 2.0 line of
> >kernels needed a patch (while as of 2.2 they had
> >functionality built in that an escape sequence would
> >trigger it). Does anyone know if the kernel in mulinux
> >has this functionality?
>
> It does. Try the e3 text editor. You could look e3 on the
> web and ask the author how he did it.

Sorry, but it does not. e3 does simply _reverse_ the characters,
that might look like a block cursor.

AFAIR once there was kernel patch issued by someone from Czech Republic.
Maybe one of:

 * Support for changeable cursor shape
 * by Pavel Machek <pavel@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz>, August 1997
 *
 * Resurrected character buffers in videoram plus lots of other trickery
 * by Martin Mares <mj@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz>, July 1998

For details see drivers/char/console.c
Hope it helps....

Cheers,