Re: SOLVED; was: [SETUP] mulinux cloned to HDD; can't install addons (22% stop)

From: Maciej Kalisiak (mac@cs.toronto.edu)
Date: Sat Jul 28 2001 - 02:55:54 CEST

On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 01:54:05AM -0400, Alfie Costa wrote:
> Also, if bzip only saves 40K, (for some reason I always thought it was more
> than that), then getting rid of /bin/bzip2 (41208 bytes) from the boot disk
> will save at least 20K, (assuming /bin/bzip2 was compressed).

That turned out to be only true for the WKS diskette. I also tried doing this
for SRV and VNC but the tar.gz sizes overflowed into 1.8M. I solved this by
simply unpacking the tgz files, tossing the stuff I didn't need from them, and
then remaking the tar.gz file.

> Have you considered putting your .tgz mu boot disk on a web page somewhere?

If it makes sense I might, but I don't think it's that useful. First off, for
the other diskettes you have to trim the contents a tiny bit to get the
.tar.gz file to fit, as mentioned above. This is usually not a problem as
each addon disk usually has quite a few things a given user doesn't want (as
well as the quite a few things he DOES want from that addon), except that the
list of things to throw out will be different for each user. Admittedly, you
could just use zip to span a pair of disks, but for some reason I found this
even more annoying and time consuming. Secondly, I think, and someone correct
me if I'm wrong, the "setup" program doesn't handle .tar.gz files; it expects
a .tar.bz2 renamed to a .tgz, and that is it. So this installation has to be
done by hand anyways (using "tar").

I think it would be far more useful to stick in the FAQ in section 5 a list of
steps like this:

Q: When installing an addon "foo" the uncompression stage gets stuck at about
22%. I think I'm out of memory. How do I install this addon?

A:
        - mv foo.tgz foo.tar.bz2
        - bunzip2 foo.tgz
        - gzip foo.tar
        - transfer foo.tar.gz to desired machine
        - cd /
        - gunzip -c foo.tar.gz | tar xvf -
        - run "setup" and select the addon, skipping the "upgrade"

--
Maciej Kalisiak		mac@dgp.toronto.edu	www.dgp.toronto.edu/~mac