SOLVED; was: [SETUP] mulinux cloned to HDD; can't install addons (22% stop)

From: Maciej Kalisiak (mac@cs.toronto.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 26 2001 - 21:26:33 CEST

On Thu, Jul 26, 2001 at 01:55:33PM -0400, Maciej Kalisiak wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 26, 2001 at 12:26:24PM -0400, Joshua Hudson wrote:
> > You are out of memory. There is simply not enough memory
> > for the kernel to bring bzip2 back to the forground while
> > running buffers and the like. It may be possible to proceed
> > like this (after using FAST BOOT), or it may fail.
> >
> > mkdir /usr/srv
> > cd /usr/srv
> > bzip2 -dck /path/to/srv.tgz > srv.tar
> > tar -xf srv.tar
> > rm srv.tar

It seemed no matter what I did bzip2 was never satiated with amount of free
memory. The solution? Switch to gzip... requires far, far, FAR less memory
for decompression; the penalty? 40Kbytes more on the diskette, but there was
more than enough room on the 1.722 diskette. Perhaps there could be an
alternate, .tar.gz set of addon diskettes for low memory machines?

--
Maciej Kalisiak		mac@dgp.toronto.edu	www.dgp.toronto.edu/~mac