Re: [mu 12r0] Possible Improvements

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Tue Jul 10 2001 - 17:02:37 CEST

On Mon, Jul 09, 2001 at 05:47:01PM -0700, Joshua Hudson nicely wrote:
> From: Michele Andreoli <m.andreoli@tin.it>
>
> >On Fri, Jul 06, 2001, Joshua Hudson nicely wrote:
> >>2. Replace busybox commands df, dmesg, sync, tee, touch
> >> with SMALLER, FULL_FEATURED versions from asmutils
> >> <http://www.linuxasssembly.com/asmutils>
>
> >Thank you: saved the list.
> >About df, dmesg, etc ... what mean smaller? They are only symlinks.
> >If we add the asmutils version, this will increase the disk space.
> >
> >Michele
>
> Have you forgotten, for each one added from asmutils, it can
> be removed from the busybox binary?

To remove a module from this (very un-structured) busybox is not
so trivial

>And the savings is that
> these hand-optimized routines are smaller and faster than
> anything the C compiler can generate. I think I'll see about
> doing that myself, as the muLinux busybox sources are present
> in the GCC addon.

You are right, but to optimize a command such "df"? It is better
to add something news. For example: I added an md5sum from asmutil.
It is on the first floppy (only 1154 bytes).

I keep trying to locate a meeting of Quantum Physicists. But everytime
they set a meeting time, the location changes. And vice versa -- Anonymous