RE: Re: [mu SETUP] Error: Cannot open initial console

From: Bob Romprey (zoot@farts.com)
Date: Sat Jun 30 2001 - 03:07:52 CEST

('binary' encoding is not supported, stored as-is) Exactly what kind of computer is this???
I know some compaq's used a small partition for their setup(configuration) utility. But I think that their partition was by default placed at the very end rather than the beginning of the disk.

Although this might be way off-base I'd think one might wish to have a look at the /etc/inittab file and see what type of terminal interface is being opened by "agetty".
I'd think one could attempt to specify either linux or, and I may be mistaken, vt100 (mostly used for serial interfaces). Particularly if muLinux runs from a floppy ok......

There is one more minor issue to look at also,
In this computers BIOS is The partition that muLinux is installed on flagged as "bootable"........I've got a few old clunkers(triton chipset) around here that absolutely WILL NOT boot unless the partition is flagged as bootable, and instead give an extremely crude error message that just says in a very ugly ROM font 8^P
No ROM Basic found
I don't know if this could affect loadlin but it's worth looking at if all else fails