Re: [mu FTP] configuring

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Fri Jun 22 2001 - 21:07:03 CEST

On Fri, Jun 22, 2001 at 10:43:58AM -0700, Joshua Hudson nicely wrote:
> How can the muLinux FTP server be configured?
> The only thing I can do at this point is change
> its root folder. I can't change which users
> can log in and whether anonymous login is
> permitted.

Configuration files for this server are in

                        # /usr/srv/etc/ftpd

But I do not remember the syntax used in this files.
You will find these files:

        ftpaccess ftpconversions ftphosts msg.toomany pathmsg welcome.msg

The /usr/srv/etc/ftpd is accessed via the symlink /etc/ftpd.

About anonymous login: it requires a chroot in the root of the ftp server.
This requires a separated /lib,/etc and /bin in the ftp-root, with a
copy of the libc5, and some command, like "ls", etc.

muLinux Setup enables the anonymous login only if cloned in the HD,
via this function in setup/inetd:

chroot_feature()
{
mkdir -p lib
mkdir -p bin
mkdir -p etc
chmod 111 lib bin

ln -f /lib/ld-linux.so.1 lib
ln -f /lib/libc.so.5.4.* lib/libc.so.5
ln -f /bin/ls bin
ln -f /etc/ld.so.cache etc
ln -f /etc/passwd etc
ln -f /etc/group etc
}

As you see, the function create a little root under /home/ftp.
If you use muLinux in RAM, anonymous login doesn't works.

I keep trying to locate a meeting of Quantum Physicists. But everytime
they set a meeting time, the location changes. And vice versa -- Anonymous