Re: muLinux v12.0: SVGA X Server and Netscape

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Wed Jun 20 2001 - 13:57:56 CEST

On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 09:55:09PM -0400, Richard Holt nicely wrote:

> To move things along, please zip the en.db and it.db for comparison.

A clarification about "en.db". We have no "en.db" module, because I choose
to define my rustic english as "en". Evenutally, real english should be
defined as "uk". I didn't find another name for rustic english, because
"ru" stands from russian :-)

To be more concise, the file xy.db must contains the translation "en->xy",
where "en" stands for rustic english from Michele Andreoli.
Example: the file it.db contains the translation "en->it".

Now, in the directory /etc/lang we have two files:

                en.db and it.db

Why? Ok. "en.db" is symlinked with /dev/null. In this way, when the
"tell" command doesn't find a translation, it simply emits the original
rustic senteces.

I explained the in a lot of old posts in this mailinglist.
Summarizing, I replaced

echo "Do you want syslogd support?" with
tell "Do you want syslogd support?"

The "tell" command open the file /etc/lang/current. This files is
symlinked (for example) with /etc/lang/it.db. The "tell" command
try to match the sentence "Do you want syslogd support?" with other
similar in the it.db, using fuzzy logic.

Fuzzy logic means that also sentences like:

        "Do you want (hello!) syslogd support?"
        "Do you want syslogd support, or not?"
        "Do you want syslogd support, or something different?"
        "Hi! Do you want syslogd support?"

are good matches, because it try to determine the BEST match against
every "en" sentences in this files.
If score is under 90%, the "tell" command simply emits its input:

                "Do you want syslogd support?"

It is for this behaviour that I called this release "Babilonia"!

I keep trying to locate a meeting of Quantum Physicists. But everytime
they set a meeting time, the location changes. And vice versa -- Anonymous