Re: [little OT] Creating a public terminal

From: Stephen Kasirye (kassets@techmuk.ac.ug)
Date: Wed Jun 13 2001 - 14:14:33 CEST

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, richard kirkcaldy nicely wrote:

> 12/06/01 13:48:00, Vesa-Pekka Palmu <depili@sci.fi> wrote:
>

> >The terminal will be used for entertainment, In a childrens hospital, this is why windows is totally out of
> question, as the configs would get messed in about 15 minutes by little "computer experts". So as the
> computer woun't be containing any personal data, there is no need for separate logins for users. The plan is to
> create a static system that woun't be destroyed by people unpluggin the computer when it is running etc.
>
> @Entertainment in Linux? Are you joking? I can see why you don't want to run windows, but I was talking to a
> technician at a local school the other day - and all their machines run windows, with a linux partition which is a
> mirror of the windows partition how it should be with everything correctly setup.
> Every time a student does something wrong, the techncians just boot into linux as root - and copy the files
> back. Within 15 minutes they can have a whole classroom back up and running.
> This is especcially effective as all student work is stored on a network server, and modern PC's all come with
> hard drives which are too big for every day use.

I for one do not see a problem with having entertainment in Linux.
Why really run windows on your machines? Are you no fed up of Windows as
yet? For sure windows could be good for games, but I still think there are
many games in Linux that many have not come across as yet unlike windows.

A grand alternative to all this is to actually get a Sony Playstation,
Nintendo game boy or Microsoft Xbox (not necessary :) ). Since they were
designed for games in particular.

Stephen