[OT] The terminal again.

From: Vesa-Pekka Palmu (vessu@dlc.fi)
Date: Tue Jun 12 2001 - 19:41:24 CEST

I have now a working installation of redhat 6.2 on the target system
(couldn't get the 7.1 to fit the hd and mandrake woulndät install
(freeses when it tries to access the cd-rom, th drive is starting to
be too old and in too bad shape...)

So I have the following guestions:
1. If I use kde as window manager, how do I restrict the user from
not creating any icons or menues etc (making the profile read-only
to the user?)
2.The easiest thing to backup the /var /tmp drives so any "real" fs
canät get damaged? (I have thougt about making images of the
working fs, then deleting the partition and using a copy of that
image as a loop filesystem (so that each time the box is rebooted
the images get reseted.) Then even if the loop-image in use get
corrupted the other image is intact. (I canät use ramdisks as the
machine has too little memory)
3. I will trash the autologin idea and istead print the login
information to the backgroung picture wich is displayed by the
xdm. but how to prevent the user from changing the password?

Comments or suggestions?

Registered Linux user number 189403
Registered Linux machines 83873 & 83874

"We are the Windows. Your life as you knew it is over. Your biological and
technological identities will be removed from our own. stability is irrelevant.
Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated."

Vesa-Pekka Palmu AKA Depili
E-mail: depili@sci.fi
ICQ#: 12379430