Re: mu-Installation problem on some computers

From: richard kirkcaldy (richard.kirkcaldy@ic24.net)
Date: Mon Jun 11 2001 - 23:11:24 CEST

06/06/01 19:33:00, "NINAD BAPAT -WOR" <ninadb@concordemotors.com>
wrote:

>Hi
>
>I have successfully installed MU11R12 on my home PC.
>
>My office has about 20 PC's connected with LAN. The Pc's are all branded IBM
>pcs. The pc's in my deptt are quite new ones (bought 1 year back).
>The config of my Office Pc is
>Pentium 465, 8G HDD, 1.44FDD in-built sound card Win98 Os
>
>I am tryin to install MU10R5 and am not able to do the same.
>After unpacking when I boot from pure DOS mode It gives all the standard
>messages and after
>'hda: hda1 the following error message is generated and the systems halts.
>
>General protection fault 0000
>Cpu 0
>And a long list of memory addresses stackpage:and registers etc.
>
>I have tried installing it all the ways possible.
>* Safe mode command prompt (i.e.without any Windows drivers)
>* Pure DOS command prompt with the startup files i.e Autoexec.bat
>
>If I boot through the boot diskette I can clone it on my HDD but cannot
>boot.
>The system stops after mounting hda1
>There is no alternative but to reboot. This happens only on the new
>computers.
>Can someone help

Hi,
        Can't help exactly, but here's a few ideas.
So you can boot from the floppy then? Have you run windoze scandisk, has that
come up with any errors?
Do you intend to run mu *instead of* windows? If so have you tried re-formatting
the hard disks?
There is a bug in some pentium processors, but I can't remember which ones -
mine has a bug, but windows doesn't care and rarely crashes. Redhat Linux
knows about it and works around the bug.

--
Richard Kirkcaldy