Re: [little OT] Creating a public terminal

From: Vesa-Pekka Palmu (vessu@dlc.fi)
Date: Mon Jun 11 2001 - 17:13:08 CEST

> > > You will need to write your own startx script.
> > > Basically, it needs to start the X server,
> > > then start the X client like so:
> > > echo "(xclient)" | su (user)
> >
> > This is prehaps the part where I need most help. As I think that the X needs root access to start (correct me if I'm wrong) and if I set the suid bit for the X client woundn't the user have root access for the rest of the session? Isn't there any way to use xdm and let it log the user in
automatically? Or how about putting the logon instructions as backround image on the logon screen, it might also work.

> > As I'm not too experienced with X srcipting and automation, could you please tell me also how to make a script that re-strats X if it dies (Ctrl-Alt-Backspace for example)
>
> Last Weekend I installed a Mandrake 8.0 Linux, which was on a CD of a
> computer magazine. The installation-tour of Mandrake 8.0 ask you for a
> default account, which is automatically entered after system startup
> (In X of course).
>
> I highly recommend to give Mandrake 8.0 a try, it is really easy to
> install. Look at a newspaper kiosk for an magazine with a mandrake 8.0
> CD or download the iso-image from www.mandrake.com, you find the
> download-button at the top of the page. (ps: the first cd fits your
> needs!)

Ok, I will give it a try, as I currently have a summer-job so I got
broadband access (after my duties are done....)
Registered Linux user number 189403
Registered Linux machines 83873 & 83874

"We are the Windows. Your life as you knew it is over. Your biological and
technological identities will be removed from our own. stability is irrelevant.
Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated."

Vesa-Pekka Palmu AKA Depili
E-mail: depili@sci.fi
ICQ#: 12379430