Re: mu-Installation problem on some computers

From: Joshua Hudson (joshudson@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Jun 10 2001 - 22:39:16 CEST

--- NINAD BAPAT <kneenad@yahoo.com> nicely wrote:

>--- Joshua Hudson <joshudson@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>NINAD BAPAT <kneenad@yahoo.com> nicely wrote:
>>
>>>:Following messages are given when the following
>>>commands are issued
>>
>>>dmseg
>>
>>>Swansea University Computer Society TCP/IP for
>>>NET3.034
>>>IP Protocols: IGMP, ICMP, UDP, TCP
>>>Checking 386/387 coupling... Ok, fpu using
>>exception
>>>16 error reporting.
>>>Checking 'hlt' instruction... Ok
>>>Linux version 2.0.36 (root@www.sanvittore.it) (gcc
>>>version 2.7.2.1) #41 Mon Sep
>>>18 16:05:11 GMT 2000
>>>Starting kswapd v 1.4.2.2
>>>Real Time Clock Driver v1.09
>>>PCSP 1.1 measurement: maximal samplerate 91783 Hz,
>>>18356 Hz used
>>>Ramdisk driver initialized : 16 ramdisks of 2200K
>>size
>>>loop: registered device at major 7
>>>hda: QUANTUM FIREBALLct08 08, 8047MB w/418kB Cache,
>>>CHS=1021/255/63
>>>ide0 at 0x1f0-0x3f6 on irq 14
>>>Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
>>>FDC 0 is a post-1991 82077
>>>Partition check:
>>>hda:hda1
>>>RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0
>>>EXT2-fs warning: checktime reached, running e2fsck
>>is
>>>recommended
>>>VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
>>>VFS: Disk change detected on device 02:1c
>>>UMSDOS Beta 0.6 (compatibility level 0.4, fast
>>umsdos)
>>>NTFS version 971218
>>>scsi : 0 hosts.
>>
>>OK, boot on one disk, root on second.
>>Is the second disk damaged?

>I have only run makefi.bat and prepared the boot
>diskette I havent prepared any other disk I want to
>clone the same on the PC

>>>fdisk -l
>>
>>>Disk /dev/hda: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 1021
>>>cylinders
>>>Units = cylinder of 16065*512 bytes
>>>Device Boot Begin Start End Id
>>> System
>>>------ --- ----- ----- ----- ---
>>>/dev/hda1 * 1 1 1025
>>>Blocks = 8233281 Id= c System = Unknown
>>
>>>Partition 1 has different physical/logical endings
>>>phys=(1019,254,63) logical=(1024,254,63)
>>>
>>Here is a problem. You need to fix the partition
>>information on your hard disk.
>>
>How do I do it.?

Usually, this requires a full reload of the machine, but
a goot partitioning program can fix it. Linux fdisk can
do it, but only if you know how to use it. I know Partition
Magic can fix it without, and probably Ranish Partition Manager.
Dos/windows fdisk can fix this, but then requires a reformat
of the hard drive.