[little OT] Creating a public terminal

From: Vesa-Pekka Palmu (vessu@dlc.fi)
Date: Sat Jun 09 2001 - 16:33:32 CEST

Ok I'm back....

I would like to have some help with the following:

I'm planning to create a public access terminal, the users are
mostly 7-16 years old and the terminal wonät have network access
of any sort.

The computer itself is a 120Mhz pentium with 24mb ram.

I have thought of using redhat 6.2 as the base of the terminal,
because it is only "up to date" linux distribution that I have at hand.

the points that I have tohught:
1. MOUNTING THE ROOT AS READ-ONLY and loading /etc as a
ramsdisk so that the configuration is restored at reboot.

2. Staring X at boot time and loggin the user in automatically, with
very limited access of course.

I would be very happy if you could offer some help with this, as my
experience of customizing linux is limited to mulinux.. also if you
know a place where I can fing games for linux tell me.

Thanks in advance.
Registered Linux user number 189403
Registered Linux machines 83873 & 83874

"We are the Windows. Your life as you knew it is over. Your biological and
technological identities will be removed from our own. stability is irrelevant.
Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated."

Vesa-Pekka Palmu AKA Depili
E-mail: depili@sci.fi
ICQ#: 12379430