Re: [Setup] Multi-User-Mailserver

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Wed May 30 2001 - 20:13:42 CEST

On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 05:24:24PM +0200, Peter Radtke nicely wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to set up a Server which provides mail and internet for my LAN.
> Routing works fine and ppp-on and ppp-off with muRCP is great stuff.
>
> But when I try to config the mail services (setup -f pop3) I become aware
> that muLinux is not a full Multi-User-OS. (Look into the discussion about
> starting X).

The pop3 Setup is a typical single-user, with password etc. Historically,
muLinux born as floppy for personal-use-only. Il Linux, the right
alternative is "fetchmail": fetchmail use a database for account; it can deliver
to local mailboxes and can interface to "procmail", in order to activate
mail filtering, answering machines, etc.

You have fetchmail and procmail in the SRV addon, but no configuration
is provided, in the perfect Linux style.

> How can I collect Mail from multiple-accounts and distribute them to the
> other users. They should still be able to use their mailsoftware.

A part from setup/pop3, the "mutt" mailer can be configured in order to
fetch emails on a per-user basis.

I keep trying to locate a meeting of Quantum Physicists. But everytime
they set a meeting time, the location changes. And vice versa -- Anonymous